Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Peace, Money and Harmony Hospital

Today I had the ‘As-Salam International Hospital experience’.
From many sources this hospital was described as THE place to go when you need a doctor.

Arriving on the dusty sand road just before you get on the little drive way to the entrance, I wasn’t too impressed to start off with. Especially when I had to scream at the receptionist because some builders were drilling in the wall in the hallway. But than, it was all good. After registration plus 210 pounds and watching the praying channel with the crowd, I had to wait 5 minutes before the Ear Nose Throat doctor could see the Ciccia. (At the ENT department BTW they don’t work with appointments, so you have to show up when the doctor starts his practice.)
The whole thing took me 2 hours and 15 minutes, this includes the drive to the hospital as well. The registration part took the longest, maybe because the bill had to be printed 3 times before they got my name right. In fact, everything went very smooth and I felt extremely satiesfied, nothing compared to my previous experience (Blog 8 Sept). Once in a while you need days like this living in Cairo. Maybe I was lucky? Back in the pharmacy I had to pay the contrasting amount of 1 pound 30 piasters for the eardrops.
And then across the pharmacy on the pavement next to the sandwich shop I saw this. Another contrast…



2 comments:

MsTypo said...

I hate places that don't keep appointments. Or in this case, make appointments.

I kid you not: guess where my bday dinner was on Saturday? And guess what i had as my first course! Tell your hubby that his risottos are to die for!!!

Tres small world. :)

Connie said...

Not having appointments is a true pain. For a doctor, I guess I can understand... they try to fit in as many as they can and not waste their time (yours is ok to waste!). Health care is important. I have also noticed that I get bumped up in line being a foreigner ... an Egyptian once told me "Ma laysh, no matter, there's probably a different price for locals and foreigners"... guess the price of preferential treatment is rates set to help the doctor cover those who cannot pay as much!

I have also, unfortunately, run into a QUACK who owned a Drs license only to collect fees. Damn thieves. There are good doctors out there. Keep asking around. Is your little one at school? That's a good place to ask.

I'm forgiving with health care, but I get highly annoyed at services that do not honor appointments. Took forever to find a good nail salon here.