Saturday, September 20, 2008

Best view in town

Today I went to Al Azhar Park to have Iftar but most importantly enjoy the sunst. On the way in a VERY speedy taxi, I tried taking several pictures of the Citadel. It was impossible in that bumpy car. At some point I even started to think the taxi driver did it on purpose.


So this is what I got. I think I hit the roof of the car while I shot this.



'Oh come one!' said the Marito. 'Give me the camera.'



Up in the park I managed to get some better pics. The weather was sublime and the pollution reasonable. I could even spot - Hurray! - the piramids.

Al Azhar park is one of the winners in Cairo. Surrounded by the most beautiful historical districts of Islamic Cairo this is THE spot for a great sunset.


The park, completed in 1984, was donated by His Highness Aga Kan and is listed as one of the world's sixty great public spaces by 'Project for Public Spaces'. With 30 hectares of great well kept grass, amazing palm trees and fountains, it feels wonderful to escape from the noise and dirt around Cairo.


Before the park was donated, it became clear that Cairo was in need of more green space. One study found that the amount of green space per inhabitant was roughly equivalent to the size of a footprint, one of the lowest proportions in the world.

One of the best dinner-spots-with-a-view in town is definately 'Citadel View' restaurant. (according to me, the only reason to eat here)


And while everybody in the park ran off to the buffets at this Citadel View Restaurant, I had plenty of opportunity to take some good shots of the park.

After I had arrived at the restaurant I knew why there had been such a hurry...
The food was almost finished and when I wanted to come back to scoop up some more of that yummy hummos, all the dishes had been cleared away...

Anyway the dessert buffet was still going and kind of alright. As a revenge I stole an extra apple from the buffet....OH! How Dutch is that??!!

3 comments:

? said...

Great view! Amazing blog.

MsTypo said...

We literally didn't have sunsets in Nairobi due to essentially living on the equator. Great pics!

Connie said...

Beautiful sunset photos!!! I love them! I've been to al-Azhar once, mid-day on a HOT, polluted, hazy day. It was still beautiful. The views are very nice.