Monday, September 8, 2008

Doctor WHO


Let me tell you about my Doctor Story.

I needed to bring the Ciccia to a pediatric to have her ear checked ask some general questions. Since we just moved to Maadi, I needed to consult a new doctor. According to the HR Manager of Marito’s work, I made an appointment with a pediatric they recommended. Before I took off I did my homework well; double checked the address and times (I had an appointment after 16.00, strange during Ramadan).

Arriving at the address, I manage to find the name of the doctor between millions of name plates on the wall.
‘Dr. X,…. Orthopedic Surgeon’ I read. ?????!!

Anyway, I rang the doorbell to see what was going on. At the reception I had to pay 80 pounds straight up. Inside it looked like I had entered a Natural History Museum, Department Biology 16th Century. Some ancient tools and bone sculptures that could be worth a lot of money.
And yes, there was a doctor waiting too, also quite dated.
I told him I was at the wrong address because I needed to see Doctor X so and so, a pediatric doctor, not an orthopedic one. He told me he was Doctor X so and so an Orthopedic AND a pediatric too. ???! Before I could grab my phone he went straight to work, checked the Ciccia’s ear and answered my questions. Still I had the feeling I was in the wrong spot. But how do you explain that? ‘Sorry, your examination seems strange (he didn’t even look inside the ear with a light!) and your answers don’t make sense to me, can I have a refund please!!’
Alright, I just played the game along, asked for the bill and went out calmly. 'Maesalaama!' What a waste of time!!! Outside in the taxi my phone rang, it was the assistant of the doctor. She was trying to explain me something in Arabic – which I (level 2 student Arabic now) didn’t get. After ‘ANA MISH FAHMA’ and ‘MIN FADLIK, El DOCTOOR’, she put me on hold. After 10 minutes, I hang up, told the taxi to turn back and knocked on the door. Of course, no one answered. Aaaaah! I knew this thing had already started wrong. Anyway, I tried calling with my phone again. No answer.

Back home, I am still puzzled about the whole event. - Marito works in a place that could be called one of the swankiest hotels in Cairo, so I thought getting a recommendation from there wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Opening the bill to check the name again, I see that the names match but... discover that the doctor has written 70 pounds on the bill, instead of 80. Little bastard!!
So tomorrow I am going to the As Salam Hospital, unless anybody else has a recommendation haha!

1 comment:

MsTypo said...

Check with the embassy. They always have a list of doctors that their people use.

What hotel does your husband work for? I love the 5stars here. A lovely way to kill a few hours. :)