Friday, September 19, 2008

This is the end














Soon we are going to leave Egypt........, a bit unexpectedly. Marito left one job, changed it for another one, but it didn't work out too well. We are very sorry, because we love living here.

The past days I had to think why I feel sad leaving Egypt. What-on-earth-makes-Cairo so-wonderful??!' It would not be for the beautiful architecture, clean streets, peace and quietness, nor would it be the fresh air. At the moment I am sitting in a steaming garden with dozens of flies attacking me, our modem just recovered from all the power cuts of last week, I need to take at least two showers a day in order not to feel too smelly, people stare at you all the time, dust is a FACT here, crossing a road is suicide, if I would dare wearing my favorite skirt or shorts people would look at me like I was naked, buying things -a kilo of onions or taking a taxi require good bargaining skills and many problems are dependent on Gods will and dealt with 'bokra' (tomorrow) and more likely 'baad bokra' (after tomorrow).


But hey, it is still great. It is the craziness that I am addicted to.

A few days ago I was even hired for a part-time job I would love to do, but that would definitely not pay the bills. So next week we are off to Amsterdam for some interviews. If that works all well we will set our camp up in there.
And will have to encounter a new culture shock.


  • French kissing in the streets
  • driving in straight lanes
  • the smell of weed
  • absurd parking fees
  • a temperature difference of at least 25 degrees, plus rain (I have been privileged here to see it rain four times in Cairo during almost one year)
  • downtown apartments that cost 30 euro’s per square meters
  • perfect sized cucumbers according to EU regulations
  • parking your bike with at least three locks
  • people begging for money (to buy alcohol or drugs)
  • and many more
  • and a million other things more

Anyway it will be interesting. It could also be temporary, this morning I saw a posted job response to Marito from Szechuan. We go anywhere people like to eat a good plate of pasta. So stay tuned on this BLOG as ‘far-so-far-away’, it could be anywhere right?

3 comments:

MsTypo said...

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be leaving. When will you go?

As someone who has tasted what i believe was his creation i can vouch that he knows his italian food! Good luck in Amsterdam and later in Szechuan.

Keep up the blog no matter where you end up. I'll be eagerly waiting to hear what's next. :)

Connie said...

Sorry to hear you are leaving. I hope you get to do a lot of the things you want before leaving. Cairo is addictive. It's friendly. You can look around and find many faults, but then someone will smile at you and do something incredibly - and honestly! - sweet and... well, you're hooked Please keep up the blog. Love to see what your further adventures bring.

Lynda said...

Goodness me.. that gave me a shock! such a sudden move.... hope all goes well for you.